Monday, December 27, 2010

PPP Polling: Gingrich and Palin on top in North Carolina

In North Carolina we see a good old log jam with Newt Gingrich and Sarah Palin tied at 21%, Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney tied at 18%, and the rest of the Republicans combining for 12%. This is another state where Romney's conservative problem rears its head. He has a strong advantage with moderates as 30% of them say he's their top choice with none of the other Republicans rising above 15%. But he posts yet another fourth place finish with conservatives at only 14%, with Palin at 24%, Gingrich at 22%, and Huckabee at only 19%.
Favorable/Unfavorable/Not Sure:

Newt Gingrich 61/21/18
Mike Huckabee 71/16/13
Sarah Palin 67/25/8
Mitt Romney 57/22/21

Who would you vote for 2012:

Mitch Daniels 1
Newt Gingrich 21
Mike Huckabee 18
Sarah Palin 21
Ron Paul 7
Tim Pawlenty 3
Mitt Romney 18
John Thune 1
Someone else/Undecided 12

(Of note: Mitt Romney picked up 8 points since the last poll. Mike Huckabee lost 7.)

Would you describe yourself as Liberal, Moderate, or Conservative?

Liberal 2
Moderate 27
Conservative 71

Big 4 breakdown for GOP Primary: (Base/Liberal/Moderate/Conservative)

Newt Gingrich 21/39/15/22
Mike Huckabee 18/ -/15/19
Sarah Palin 21/31/13/24
Mitt Romney 18/11/30/14

December 17-19, 2010
, Survey of 400 GOP primary voters

Click the PPP icon below to view cross tabs:


Anonymous said...

Happy to see Mitt move up 8 points and Huckabee down 7,

Saying that, HOW can anyone support Gingrich with all his baggage?


Anonymous said...

With essentially only one company doing state polling, and with not having regional crosstabs, it is difficult to know exactly what is going on, but looking at all polling, I'd say Mr. Huckabee has about 29% of the delegates, Mr. Romney 27%, Mrs. Palin 26%, Mr. Gingrich 12% and Dr. Paul 4%. Of course, my model is not scientific and the information I have is not apples to apples so more data is needed.


BOSMAN said...

I'm not disappointed zeke.

According to these numbers, Any of the top 4 could win.

phil said...

It basically a 4 way tie!